Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thing # 8: RSS Feeds and Readers

RSS Feeds and Readers are lifesavers for those who keep up with lots of different sites and blogs. I had some trouble when I tried to find blogs outside of the ones suggested, so I just stayed with ones listed on Library2Play. I didn’t have trouble finding blogs to subscribe to, I had trouble finding a blog that I wanted to subscribe to. I will have to play around with the search for blogs more, maybe it will get better.

What do I like about it? It’s a great way to keep up with all the blogs and news stories you look at all the time. It will save lots of time going to just one place instead of having to open and close several websites.

How might I use it? School: I could get my students set up with blogs and have them do their journals on their blogs instead of in notebooks. Then I would subscribe to all of their blogs. That would save me time in flipping through journals to find the latest entry and I could access it anywhere without having to lug all those notebooks around.
Personal: About the same thing, except that I would add blogs from friends.

How can libraries use them? Set up a school library blog for students to comment on books they have read. Librarians could use them to keep up with the latest news in the library world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I find blogs to read the same way I find books to read - if I like someone's blog I take a look at the their blogroll - chances are they are reading some blogs that might interest me too.
After a bit, Google Reader actually starts suggesting blogs of interest. It's sorta of fun and sort of scary in a Big Brother Kind of way.