Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thing # 15

Libraries should have always been 2.0, but whether or not they have been is probably as varied as the librarians themselves. I feel that the library I work in is pretty close. At our school, we have taken suggestions from students about books to buy. The teachers and staff are welcome to give suggestions about what they need to implement their lessons. If the teachers will let her know what they are studying, our librarian will find ways to reinforce their lessons. She is always looking for ways to implement technology in a meaningful way. So, yeah, I feel like we are 2.0.

I really liked what Michael Stephens said about Technolust. He cautioned against having technology just because it is cool or because of the status of having it. He feels that the technology should “…meet the needs of the user in a new or improved way.”

Richard Anderson’s article concerned me at first. I had to take another look at it to make sure I read it right. At first it seemed that he was saying that there was no longer a need for a library collection or a need to teach research skills. On my second reading, I came to the conclusion that he meant that the reference collection may no longer be needed. I can see that. The web has so much more, and the information is updated more regularly than the library collection. I also decided that he didn’t say not to teach research skills, just that it does not need to be as focused as in the past. I’m still not sure about this. There is so much out there that students need to be taught how to filter through all of it to find what they really need. Of course, he is a college librarian. By then they don’t need that kind of instruction like elementary school children do.

No comments: